Monday, June 04, 2007

Gore visists London

Well it seems Al Gore visited London, Ontario on his climate tour. A couple of notable things seem apparent: my home institution seems to have fallen over itself in fawning over Mr. Gore, and only two questions were asked from the floor -- seems I might have been missed after all.

I always marvel at the change that seems to overtake people in the presence of "celebrity" -- people fawn and present themselves in a most unflattering way. I wonder at the ego of those who enjoy being surrounded by sycophants.

I have met few truly great people in real life and even fewer authentic geniuses. Those I have met did share one dominant characteristic: a disdain for those who pander and an appreciation for honesty.

I wonder how much truth Mr. Gore experiences on a daily basis.